On Boxing Day, you may or may not have watched David Walliams and guests count down, read and talk about 50 of the nation's favourite children's books on Channel 4. I did watch it and whilst I agreed with a heck of a lot, it also got me thinking about my 50 favourites, as a child and now.
So without further ado, here's my 50 best!
- The Harry Potter series (especially The Prisoner of Azkaban which was my first love and Deathly Hallows which I re read the most). - J.K. Rowling.
- Roald Dahl Stories (most notably Matilda, George's Marvellous Medicine and Fantastic Mr Fox) - Roald Dahl.
- Jacqueline Wilson Stories (favs including Tracy Beaker, the Girls series, The Lottie Project and Lola Rose) - Jacqueline Wilson.
- My Naughty Little Sister Stories - Dorothy Edwards.
- Once There Were Giants - Martin Waddell.
- The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter - Beatrix Potter.
- Kipper Collection - Mick Inkpen.
- Michael Morpurgo books (absolute favs War Horse, Private Peaceful, The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips and Out Of The Ashes) - Michael Morpurgo.
- The Snowman - Raymond Briggs.
- The Famous Five Stories - Enid Blyton.
- Holes - Louis Sachar.
- The Jolly Postman & The Jolly Christmas Postman - Janet and Allan Ahlberg.
- Horrid Henry Series - Francesca Simon.
- This Is Not My Hat - Jon Klassen.
- The Day The Crayons Quit & The Day The Crayons Came Home - Drew Daywalt.
- Rosie's Babies - Martin Waddell.
- Ten Little Fingers & Ten Little Toes - Mem Fox.
- Owl Babies - Martin Waddell.
- Peepo! - Janet & Allan Ahlberg.
- Emma's Lamb - Kim Lewis.
- Floss - Kim Lewis.
- The Last Noo Noo - Jill Murphy.
- Five Minutes Peace - Jill Murphy.
- The Magic Faraway Tree - Enid Blyton.
- The True Story Of The Three Little Pigs - Jon Scieszka.
- The Worst Witch - Jill Murphy.
- Jam Panda Books - Caroline Repchuk.
- The Queen's Hat - Steve Antony.
- Grandad's Island - Benji Davies.
- Sam & Dave Dig A Hole - Mac Barnett.
- On Sudden Hill - Linda Sarah.
- The Storm Whale - Benji Davies.
- When The Dragons Came - Lynne Moore.
- Ten In The Bed - Penny Dale.
- Topsy & Tim Series - Jean Adamson.
- Those Dreadful Children - Enid Blyton.
- Inky Pinky Plot - Judith Nicholls.
- Spaghetti With The Yeti - Charlotte Guillain.
- Yucky Worms - Vivian French.
- Iggy Peck, Architect - Andrea Beaty.
- Hattie Peck - Emma Levey.
- The Pea & The Princess - Mini Grey.
- Friends - Kim Lewis.
- The Shepard Book - Kim Lewis.
- The First Slodge - Jeanne Willis.
- Wolves - Emily Gravett.
- How To Wash A Wooly Mammoth - Michelle Robinson.
- The Dark - Lemony Snicket.
- The Owl & The Pussycat - Ian Beck.
- We're Going On A Bear Hunt - Michael Rosen.
You can also read the Channel 4's list below or watch the original programme here.
- Winnie the Pooh (especially The House at Pooh Corner)
A.A. Milne (illustrated by E H Shepard)
- The Chronicles of Narnia (especially The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)
C.S. Lewis (illustrated by Pauline Baynes)
- Harry Potter (especially Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone)
- Where the Wild Things are
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Roald Dahl (illustrated by Quentin Blake)
- The Wind in the Willows
Kenneth Grahame (illustrated by E H Shepard)
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- A Bear Called Paddington
Michael Bond (illustrated by Peggy Fortnum)
- The Gruffalo
Julia Donaldson (illustrated by Axel Scheffler)
- The Hobbit
- The Cat in the Hat
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Lewis Carroll (illustrated by John Tenniel)
- We're Going on a Bear Hunt
Michael Rosen (illustrated by Helen Oxenbury)
- Little Women
Louisa May Alcott
- Alfie and Annie Rose (especially Dogger)
- Pippi Longstocking
Astrid Lingren (illustrated by Lauren Child)
- The Tiger Who Came to Tea
- Finn Family Moomintroll
- The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter (especially The Tale of Peter Rabbit)
- Journey to the River Sea
- The Story of Tracy Beaker
Jacqueline Wilson (illustrated by Nick Sharratt)
- Kensuke's Kingdom
- Goodnight Mr Tom
- A Monster Calls
Patrick Ness (illustrated by Jim Kay)
- The Railway Children
Frank Cottrell Boyce
- The Snowman
- The Arrival
- The Snow Queen
Hans Christian Andersen
- Black Beauty
- Famous Five (especially Five on a Treasure Island)
- Just William (especially Just William)
- Stig of the Dump
- The Boy in the Dress
David Walliams (illustrated by Quentin Blake)
- Charlie and Lola (especially I Will Never Not Ever Eat a Tomato)
- The Jolly Postman
Allan and Janet Ahlberg
- Horrid Henry (especially Horrid Henry Strikes it Rich)
Francesca Simon (illustrated by Tony Ross)
- How to Train your Dragon
- The Wee Free Men
- Alex Rider (especially Stormbreaker)
- Mortal Engines (especially Mortal Engines)
- The Secret Garden
Francis Hodgson Burnett (illustrated by Inga Moore)
- Just So Stories
- This is Not my Hat
- Fortunately, the Milk
Neil Gaiman (illustrated by Chris Riddell)
- Charlotte's Web
E B White (illustrated by Garth Williams)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid
- Treasure Island
Robert Louis Stevenson